Wednesday, August 31, 2011

1 year, 33 springs

Moving to the middle of northern Florida, I was pretty sure I'd spend my weekends running away from the city to escape to the beach. Central Florida does NOT sound conducive to diving. BUT my first weekend here, I discovered the springs and have set out on a grand adventure to SCUBA dive or free dive all 33 1st Magnitude springs in Florida in 1 year.

Springs are categorized into 8 different magnitudes, ranging from the most flow (1st) to the least (<1 pint per minute, 8th Magnitude). First magnitude springs are those that discharge > 65 million gallons per day: (http://apalacheehills.com/springs/Springbook/FirstMagnitude.htm).

I was going to just organize my pictures in iphoto, but instead was inspired by Amy's world travels blog (way cooler...) and started this blog basically so I can keep track of all the springs I've been to and have a digital scrapbook sort of thing. Plus it's documentation of my challenge and a way to record my dives and thoughts about each different spring. Feel free to follow along if you want to see some of the world you're missing by staying above sea level (spring level?) :)

Start Date: August 14, 2011
End Date: August 14, 2012

http://www.floridasprings.org/visit/map/

4 down, 29 to go!





No comments:

Post a Comment